1. How is this formula different than OptygenHP? This prototype formula has two key changes:
a) The amount of Beta-Alanine has been increased by 50% so there's now 1.5 grams/serving.
b) Cordyceps has been replaced with a special proprietary matrix of Eleutherococcus senticosus extract, Panax notoginseng and Rosa Roxburghii fruit extract. There are a number of new studies that have been done on endurance athletes that show significant endurance benefits.
2. What's the purpose of this OptygenHP Prototype? When we introduced the last version of OptygenHP, it was based on all the latest research and clinical studies that was available at that time. Since then, new research and new clinical studies have become available. The purpose of this new OptygenHP prototype is to get it in the hands of First Endurance sponsored athletes for a hands-on evaluation so they can give us input and feedback, good or bad. At this point, we have not decided whether to proceed with an OptygenHP formula change.
**It's important to note that this is only a prototype and is only in an initial testing phase. First Endurance constantly reviews the latest research and evaluates the most recent clinical studies and updates existing formulas if it will improve our product line. Developing a prototype is one of the first steps First Endurance takes to determine if a formula change should be considered.
3. What should an athlete notice? The new studies show significant improvement in various physiological and performance areas of endurance. Athletes should notice an increased ability to handle high volume and high intensity training. Athletes should be able to replenish glycogen faster leading to improved recovery and improved performance on back-to-back workouts and during months of heavy training. Athletes should expect inflammatory response to high intensity exercise to improve leading to faster recovery. The studies have proven:
-Improved glycogen re-synthesis
-Improved inflammatory response and recovery markers (less sore)
-Increase in ATP production
-Sparing of glycogen during exercise
-Improved exercise capacity
-Improved lactate curve
-Improved insulin sensitivity
4. When will it be available? First Endurance will make the prototypes available exclusively to newsletter subscribers on March 11, 2013. We did a very small sample run of the new OptygenHP prototypes. While the majority of these samples have been given to sponsored athletes, there is a small quantity of extra bottles available. Once they're gone, they're gone.
5. What is the special proprietary matrix? The proprietary matrix consists of three key nutrients. This nutrient blend is only available in the new OptygenHP product. The blend consistes of Eleutherococcus senticosus (ES) extract, highly fractionated Panax notoginseng (PN) extract and Rosa Roxburghii (RR) fruit extract.
Following exhaustive exercise, athletes fight inflammation, battle oxidative stress, need to repair torn muscle tissue, and have depleted essential glycogen stores. Glycogen is the primary storage carbohydrate in muscles and liver totaling approximately 2,000Kcal in a trained athlete. Muscle glycogen is generally known as the main fuel for strenuous sports activity. Unlike fat, this fuel can be mobilized rapidly under anaerobic condition, which typically occurs under various acute/exhaustive physical exercises.
Glycogen re-synthesis is the process of converting consumed food into stored glycogen. Even with optimal recovery after a hard workout, full glycogen re-synthesis is difficult to attain within 24 hours and subsequent workouts can begin to suffer. This is especially true when working out or racing for multiple days back to back. Having the ability to replenish glycogen to a greater degree allows athletes to bounce back from exhaustive exercise faster and be better prepared for the next day of training or racing.